Monday, January 27, 2014

Fruitvale Station: The Review


Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz and Octavia Spencer
Written and Directed by: Ryan Coogler
Rating: 5/5 Unicorns

Fruitvale Station is the mesmerizing debut feature from Ryan Coogler about the last day of Oscar Grant's ( Michael B. Jordan) life. I have been dying to watch this film since I first heard it was being made. I was ecstatic as it got high praise at both Sundance and Cannes. When I put the DVD in, I was overwhelmed. This was a movie I had waited forever to see but I dreaded the emotions the viewing would have. I knew that there would be tears and that most likely I would be consumed by anger. In the end, I am happy that I got the privilege to watch this film.

Fruitvale Station was well written film with incredible performances. Octavia Spencer's portrayal as Oscar's mother Wanda was heartbreaking. Micheal B. Jordan not only gave an Oscar worthy performance but did the incredible task of breathing life into Oscar Grant. I have to give him and Ryan Coogler props for making Oscar Grant human. He was not portrayed as hero nor as a villain. He was a young man trying to turn his life around. He was your brother, your son, your father, your friend and your neighbor. He was someone you could relate to and root for. Unfortunately, these days there are not too many films that portray black males as human. They are just caricatures of what the media believes about blackness. Throughout the film we remain hopeful that things will work out for Oscar but in the back of our minds we know how his life will come to a tragic end.

The last twenty minutes of the film is heart stopping. You are watching the events unfold and you are disgusted with yourself that you allowed it to happen.I remember thinking to myself this is what film-making is all about. It is suppose to create a dialogue. You are suppose to react to what you are seeing. Ryan Coogler's first film is nothing short of spectacular. It is a shame that this fine film was overlooked by the Academy.I will go on the record and say Fruitvale Station was one of the best films of 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment