Tuesday, January 7, 2014

State of the Race 2013: Best Picture

Before I breakdown the Best Picture race I want to wish all y'all Happy New Year. We are only days away from the announcement of nominees for the 86th Academy Awards. This is the time in the year when my stomach goes into knots. Will my favorite films of the year get the recognition they deserve? Only time will tell.

The state of the Oscar race is forever changing. Earlier during the season, the buzz was all about Gravity. I watched Gravity but it did not really strike a chord with me. I believe it will be nominated for several awards next week. After the buzz for Gravity died down that is when 12 Years a Slave took over. I believe this film is the one to beat. I have not seen a better film this year, in fact ever. I will be more than pissed if this film does not go the distance. Right now American Hustle is the favorite to win. I have watched American Hustle and I found it to be hilarious. It was fantastic ensemble piece but it no way near the best film of the year. I believe the little gem Nebraska was a superior film. I really hope that it receives several nominations.

I am not too sure how many pictures will be nominated for Best Picture this year. I believe that there will be somewhere between 7-10 pictures fighting for Best Picture this year.
Front-runners

  1. 12 Years a Slave
  2. American Hustle
  3. Gravity
  4. Nebraska
  5. Captain Phillips

Second Tier

  1. Her 
  2. Dallas Buyers Club
  3. Inside Llewyn Davis
  4. The Wolf of Wall Street
  5.  Saving Mr. Banks
Possible Contenders
  1. The Butler
  2. Blue Jasmine
  3. Fruitvale Station
  4. August: Osage County
  5. Rush


No comments:

Post a Comment