Monday, March 19, 2012

Hugo

Starring: Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz, Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen and Jude Law
Director: Martin Scorsese
Written by: John Logan
Rating: 5/5 Unicorns

I am still on my quest to watch as many Oscar nominated films as possible. Hugo was high on my list on films that I had to watch. I will be the first to admit that Hugo did not strike my fancy when I first watched the trailers. All I knew was that critics were raving about the film and were worried that it would not find a large American audience. When it arrived in my mail( Netflix subscriber), I was still not sure what the movie was all about. I was not sure that I would even like the film. I soon learnt  how much a gift Hugo is to film lovers and it instantly became one of my favorite films released over the past ten years. I have watched several critically acclaimed  films that I thought I would love but didn't. Sometimes when you have no expectations is when movies really do leave a mark on you.

Hugo tells the story of an orphan boy ( Asa Butterfield) living behind the clocks at a train station in 1930s Paris. He is on a quest to fix an automaton given to him by his late father( Jude Law). He believes that the machine holds a message from his father. During his quest he befriends a shopkeeper( Ben Kingsley) and the shopkeeper's  adventure seeking goddaughter( Chloe Grace Moretz). The movie warmed my heart from the very first scene. The cinematography and art direction are out of this world and are well deserving of their wins at this year's Academy Awards. Honestly I completely understand why Hugo was nominated for as many Academy Awards as it was. I also understand why it won the awards it did. This film is so much more than its cinematography and art direction. Asa and Chloe are charming and delightful to watch on screen. Sacha Baron Cohen is hilarious as the Station Inspector. Scorsese did an incredible job bringing this enchanting story to life and reconfirming my love for movies. If you are someone who loves films, trust me Hugo is not only a wonderful treat  but a beautiful homage to the art of film-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment