Tuesday, September 11, 2012

3 in 1: Top Three Picks

1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
I absolutely adored the first installment in the Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes series. I was not too sure what to expect in the sequel. The verdict is in and A Game of Shadows is a hit. There was a lot of subtext in the first film, this film was full on text and I was in heaven. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law deliver in this hilarious thrill ride. You really have to have incredible chemistry to portray a love/hate relationship to perfection. Their interactions will leave you in stiches. The film is worth watching to see Holmes arguing about the unnaturalness of riding a horse. He opts for a pony instead. It is a ridiculous scenario but still believable at the same time. Noomi Rapace is a fantastic addition to the franchise.  Overall this sequel is a must see.
2. Warrior
I really thought that I had written about Warrior before but I came to the sad realization that is not the case. Warrior is one of those gems that runs away with your heart. Warrior is set against the backdrop of the violent mixed martial arts combat competition. This film follows two estranged brothers preparation for the competition. Nick Nolte may have been nominated for an an Academy Award but Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton give outstanding performances. You find yourself rooting for these two completely different characters. You want them to make it to the end but you know only one will win the championship. What an emotional roller coaster, not on the masochistic level as War Horse but  so heart wrenching.

3. Billy Elliot

Love is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about Billy Elliot. What a beautiful masterpiece. Hands down one of the best films ever made. Until this day I get misty-eyed watching the final scene. Some people may dream about their sons being a Football player, I dream about having my own Billy Elliot.  I dream of crying as my son does a perfect pirouette. I was fortunate to watch the Australian  play production of Billy Elliot. It only added to my love for the film, that it was able to translate beautifully onto stage. If you have yet to watch Billy Elliot, make sure that you do. If you have watched it before, there is no harm in watching it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment