Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Artist


Starring: Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, John Cromwell, Missi Pyle, and John Goodman
Director: Michel Hazanavicius
Written By:Michel Hazanavicius
Rating: 4.5/5 Unicorns

If I was to sum up The Artist in one word it would be formidable. Yes it was that good that I broke out in French. The Artist was a love poem set in motion to the silent film era.  Not only did the film illustrate the glitz and glamour of Hollywood during this glorious era but the heartbreak that the industry can bring as well. Jean Dujardin portrays George Valentin, a successful silent film actor. He is in a strained relationship with his unhappy wife when he bumps into Peppy Miller( Berenice Bejo), an inspiring actress. The two are immediately drawn to each other. When the "talkies" become the craze in Hollywood and Peppy Miller becomes the it girl, Valentin fights to leave his mark in the industry.

The Artist is not a film for everyone. Not everyone would find the beauty in its style. Honestly, some people may have a problem that the film is a silent film. I would argue that the film is wonderfully put together. The score was magnificent, dance sequences had me beaming from ear to ear, Jean Dujardin was completely mesmerizing. Not only did it deserve all of its recognition, the film truly was the best picture of the year.

For all of my rave review, you must be wondering why I did not give The Artist a perfect rating. My reasoning is that at one time in the film, I got bored. They lost my attention for about five to ten minutes. Besides that mishaps I found The Artist to be incredible. I will be become a classic that film lovers will not only study but treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment