Monday, October 8, 2012

My Picks of the Week

This past week I have had the privilege of seeing two great movies. One was a feel good comedy and the other was a cinematic masterpiece. My picks of the week are Pitch Perfect and A Separation.


Pitch Perfect



Starring: Anna Kendrick, Skylar Astin, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp, Rebel Wilson, Alexis Knapp, Ester Dean and Hana Mae Lee
Director: Jason Moore
Writers: Kay Cannon
Ratings: 4/5 Unicorns

Beca(Anna Kendrick) is an aspiring DJ  who joins the Barden Bellas- the collegiate all-girls acapella group. They are training to beat the reigning champions Treble Makers in the national acapella contest. The Bellas are consisted of some interesting characters. Lily( Hana Mae Lee) and Fat Amy( Rebel Wilson) will have you in hysterics. My love for Rebel Wilson knows no bounds. I have been a fan of hers ever since her scene stealing performance in Bridesmaids. After this movie, you will be hearing a lot more about Rebel. I found Pitch Perfect to be refreshing and hilarious.  The acapella routines left me giddy with joy especially the Treble Makers. The reason I did not give this film a perfect score was because of the character Cynthia Rose (Ester Dean). Since when has homophobia been a punch line? I just wished that they had made her character fully rounded. I thought Ester Dean did give a stellar performance. Aside from this mishap this film is one rocking good time. 

A Separation

Starring: Peyman Moadi, Leila Hatami, Sareh Bayat and Sarina Farhadi
Written and Directed by: Asghar Farhadi
Ratings: 5/5 Unicorns

I am not exaggerating when I state that A Separation is a cinematic masterpiece. Hands down the best film that came out last year and one of the best films of the 21st century. Throughout the film I just wanted to know the truth. I was completely breathless. The acting in this film was top notch. No wonder this film took the Best Foreign Film at this years Oscars. Outstanding! This is a movie that is a must see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment