Monday, February 4, 2019

Black History Month Spotlight: Lena Waithe


Last year, in celebration of Black History Month I created the Spotlight series. I decided that I would continue the tradition in the new year. The first spotlight goes to the marvelous Lena Waithe.
via GIPHY
Lena Waithe was born in Chicago, Illnois on May 17, 1984. She is an American writer, producer and actress. Waithe's became the first African-American woman to win a Prime time Emmy award for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series for the "Thanksgiving" episode of the Netflix show Master of None.


via GIPHY

 Since winning an Emmy, Waithe's  star has continued to grow. She starred in Ready Player One which was directed by Steven Spielberg. She has  gone on to executive produce the highly anticipated Boomerang series on BET and is the show creator of the highly acclaimed Showtime drama The Chi. She wrote Queen & Slim , which will be released this fall. It is considered to be one of the most anticipated films of the year.


via GIPHY
I cannot wait to see what more is in store for Lena Waithe. I know that I will continue to be watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment