Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Twlight Saga: Eclipse

I am the biggest sci-fi/ fantasy/horror fan you will find. Dragons, Aliens, Fairies, Werewolves, Vampires, Witches, Hobbits, Mermaids and Unicorns were all I could talk about growing up. When it comes to films there is nothing I love more than watching a great adventure unfold. If a film  manages to mix thrills, laughs  and great effects I am completely sold. Being a big fan of vampires and werewolves I am always thrilled whenever I get the opportunity to see them come alive in front of my eyes. I am never a fan when people start to change what we know is true about my beloved creatures. For instance, Vampires do not shine in the light or break off like glass when killed. Who came up with that? Oh yes, Stephanie Meyer. Since I got that rant out of my way I am now going to critique the latest offering from the Twilight Saga. I know most people are thinking this movie came out last year why I am writing a review now. Well I have only watched it today, so the review will be fresh on my mind. I have shied away from watching Eclipse because the previous two were not of high caliber. I absolutely hated Twilight. I did enjoy New Moon but mostly because Taylor Lautner was topless for most of it. Lets get on with Eclipse. I was entertained for the two hours that it was on, so that was a plus. The writing was not horrendous but predictable. I found myself completing sentences for the characters, yes it was that predictable. The special effects were still a little off for me. The whole running super fast thing had me in tears. With all the success that the Twilight Saga  has had you think they would invest more in the special effects department. I felt like the pacing was good. Characters development was decent and so was the score. The acting was not terrible but not brilliant either. The actors did well with what was given to them. The biggest bone I have with the film was relationship between Bella and Edward. I don't know how much is the film fault but I suspect it has more to do with how their relationship was written in the books. Edward is a stalker, emotionally abusive and possessive boyfriend. Their relationship is one of the most toxic things I have ever seen. Her entire existence is based on Edward, I was a teenage girl once so I know how intense feelings can be. It is a reason why they call it puppy love. He could never let her  make her own decisions. I don't want you going to see Jacob. Take a chill pill.  Lets see what else did I enjoy or loathe in the film. I did like the werewolves even though they could have come across more real on film( once again special effects get it together). The makeup has come a long way from Twilight( thank god). On a superficial part, I really have to give it up to the hair department,  Bella's hair was on point throughout the film. As  I recall she was wearing a wig, so kudos to them. There were more topless Jacob scenes which are always nice and unnecessary at the same time. At the end of the day I prefer my vampires to be ruthless a la Anne Rice or True Blood.  The film was overall entertaining. It was far from perfect but it was not the worst thing I have ever seen. In my humble opinion this is a perfect film for the little 13 year old girl and 13 year old girls at hearts.
2.5/5 Unicorns

No comments:

Post a Comment