Monday, June 6, 2011

X-Men: First Class


I grew up on X-men. Sure Spiderman, Superman and Batman are amazing superheroes but there do not hold a torch to my X-men. When the first film adaption of X-Men was released in 2000 it was a dream come true. My pre-teen heart was full of glee. I recall exiting the theater thinking it was the best film I had ever seen. Keep in mind this was shortly before The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was released or I became acquainted with classics like Shawshank Redemption. Fast forward to 2003 when the sequel came out, X-men had me under their spell. I was disappointed with X-men: The Last Stand, it do not compare to the previous films. It felt rushed and there character inconsistency. When X-men Origins: Wolverine came out my love of the X-Men had diminished.  Do not get me wrong I loved seeing Wolverine in all his glory but the spark of the films had died. When X-Men: First Class was being filmed my excitement was non-existent. I was happy that James McAvoy and Nicholas Hoult got a role in the films, since they are actors that I love. Last few weeks before the film was released I found my excitement building. I was hearing wonderful things about the film that made me reconsider the franchise.So during the opening night  I made my way to the cinema. Within two minutes of the film, I was in love. This is not much of a spoiler but the first few minutes were exactly the same as the first X-men. I felt like it was a nudge to fans and I took it hook line and sinker. The entire film was well paced and the character development was superb. There is a good balance between dialogue and action. There are two cameos that will make the fans extremely happy. I have already fallen in love Matthew Vaughn since Kick-Ass but this film reaffirmed my love for him. He is an amazing director and I can see his career going to amazing lengths. Pretty much the entire cast had amazing chemistry, which made the film more enjoyable. My favorite scene from the movie took place at a bar in Argentina. All I will reveal is that Erik/Magneto puts the bad in badass. For some reason I did not know Kevin Bacon was in the film. He had an amazing role in the film, it is always interesting to see him playing the villain. For all the fangirls in the world, this film has an epic bromance between Charles and Erik. I think it rivals Kirk and Spock, Sherlock and Dr. Watson. I would recommend that you run to go see this film. Trust me when I say it is worth the ticket price.
Rating:5/5 Unicorns

No comments:

Post a Comment